Saturday, May 7, 2016

Section: 16
Hours: 8

Woody and I cut up wood and assembled a wing cradle this morning. I searched the Van's Airforce site for a suitable design and found this: What I built is essentially the same but shortened to 8' long because the RV-14 has a shorter wing and I didn't have any 10' sticks on hand, but I did have some 8 footers.

I ripped some 2x4 in half for the top stringers where the carpet gets hung.   It was easier to attach and a little cleaner than the design for the RV-10. Everything was glued and screwed together with 2 1/2" wood screws. Casters came from Harbor Freight- fixed wheels on the carpet end and free castering wheels on the opposite end. Seems plenty sturdy.

Richard came over this afternoon and we finished up riveting the right wing top wing skins in about an hour and a half. Two wings, no oil caning. It's great to have skilled help!  Thanks Richard.

I had to slap a leading edge, flap and aileron on to get a glimpse of what will be. I still have some work to do before I permanently attach all the pieces, but it's finally starting to look like a wing!

No comments:

Post a Comment