Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Section: engine
Hours: 4

The adel clamps arrived from Aircraft Spruce and I installed the new oil breather tubing. The new tubing replaces the 90 rubber elbow and aluminum tubing that came with the firewall forward kit. The new tubing routes around the oil filter and clamps to the firewall using the screw holes already in place for the previous tubing. I had to replace the previous adel clamps with larger ones to accommodate the new rubber tubing.

Here is the view from the bottom looking up. I used the end of the old aluminum tubing in the end of the rubber tubing. The end of the aluminum extension directs the output to the top of the exhaust which may prevent some the oil from accumulating on the belly of the fuselage?

Space in the engine compartment is limited for reaching the adel clamp screws with a screwdriver. The screws go into nut plates so a lot of force is required to screw them in. Necessity is the mother of invention and I came up with this method for driving the screws:
Socket wrench, 1/4 in socket, philips head insert- fits in the limited space available and provides enough leverage to screw into the nut plates.

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Section: avionics
Hours: 4

I installed a dome light at the back of the luggage storage area. This light is on the map light circuit and is controlled by a dimmer on the control panel. The light is locally grounded to the airframe and the power line comes from the dimmer circuit board in the panel. I discovered I had missed riveting the center 3 rivets in canopy top brace so I tackled that first.

Then I created a support plate and attached the light with 2 screws. I also drilled a wiring hole in the fuselage bulkhead and inserted a through hole plastic insert. The support plate attaches to the canopy brace using 2 more screws with lock nuts. The light is slightly tilted forward so the light nicely illuminates the baggage area. I may build a shade to limit the LED glare to just illuminating the baggage floor.

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Section: 47
Hours: 6

I have not had any success closing the cowling since I added the rubber baffling. I could not get the upper and lower cowling halves to join. Some of my friends advised putting heavy sand bags on top of the cowl to force it closed, but I don't think that is the problem. Today I spent some time investigating what was causing the gap and discovered that the baffling on the upper side of the air inlets was getting stuck on the epoxy/flox dam build up on the upper cowl. I got out the dremel with a sanding drum and whittled back the dams.



The rubber gasket now smoothly fits inside the inlet side and it is easy to close the cowl halves! Through trial and error I have now discovered an order for attaching the cowl halves that works. First install the lower cowl. Then place the upper cowl on the fuselage. Match up the piano hinge along the top fuselage then make sure the rubber gaskets are in place around the air inlets at the front. Then press down and match up the piano hinge along the lower edge of the cowl. Push the piano hinge pins in from the front to join the lower and upper halves. Finally, insert the cowl to fuselage piano hinge pins through the oil door.